This morning during my Scripture prayer time I was reading the Book of Exodus. The Israelites, “put the Lord to the test by saying, ‘Is the Lord among us or not’” (Ex 17:7)?
IS THE LORD AMONG US OR NOT???
I need to put this in perspective…the sons of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are questioning God’s concern for them after the following things have happened:
- Right before they ask this question they were given quail and miraculous Manna in the desert (Ex 16).
- Before that, they witnessed bitter undrinkable water being turned into sweet water (Ex 15:22-27).
- Before that, they miraculously crossed the Red Sea on dry ground as they Egyptian army was destroyed (Ex 14).
- Before that, they saw God’s presence in the form of a Pillar of Cloud and a Pillar of Fire (Ex 13:17-22).
- And of course let’s not forget that before that, they lived through the Ten Plagues coming upon Egypt which led to the Israelites freedom from slavery (Ex 7-12).
And despite all of that, the Israelites asked “Is the Lord among us or not”??? THEY STILL WANTED PROOF.
But…are we all that different from the Israelites?