Please pray for the 47 PILGRIMS, our travels, and that the Holy Spirit will work powerfully in the Holy Land. You can be assured or our prayers for you.
Preparing and packing got me thinking, “What does it mean to be a pilgrim?”
St. Peter speaks of Christians as being in “exile” which means they are not in their homeland (cf. 1 Pet 1:1, 17). St. Paul tells us that our citizenship is in heaven (cf. Phil 3:20). And in the Book of Hebrews, Christians are described as “having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland” (11:13,14).
Are you a Pilgrim?
- Destination - A pilgrim has a goal or destination which they are headed towards. We are not lost but know where we are headed. Heaven is our Homeland, which is where our heart longs to be.
- Detachment - Because a pilgrim has a destination means that they ought to lack the normal attachment to their current surroundings. We don’t want to get distracted by worldly things that do not last.
- Time - Since a pilgrim is traveling Time is precious. We ought to have a since of urgency when it comes to this life. When praying the Hail Mary we pray for the two most important times of our life…”now and at the hour of our death.” And there will come a time which those two moments are the same moment.
- Trust - Lacking the comforts and ease of home means that a pilgrim must rely on others, a pilgrim must Trust. We must trust ourselves to God’s Providence. The more we abandon ourselves to His map for us, the easier the journey becomes.
- Walks with Others - A pilgrim ought not to travel alone. There is safety and companionship in numbers. Or as my friend Sarah Swafford would say, “Who are you running with?” Of course those who know me know that given my larger round shape…I don’t run. So a pilgrim walks with others. We walk with others in order to grow as a pilgrim, but there is also another goal. Since our Destination is so wonderful we should constantly be looking for others to bring along the journey.
Co-Founder & COO
Casting Nets Ministries