This morning during my Scripture prayer time I was reading the Book of Exodus. The Israelites, “put the Lord to the test by saying, ‘Is the Lord among us or not’” (Ex 17:7)?
IS THE LORD AMONG US OR NOT???
I need to put this in perspective…the sons of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are questioning God’s concern for them after the following things have happened:
- Right before they ask this question they were given quail and miraculous Manna in the desert (Ex 16).
- Before that, they witnessed bitter undrinkable water being turned into sweet water (Ex 15:22-27).
- Before that, they miraculously crossed the Red Sea on dry ground as they Egyptian army was destroyed (Ex 14).
- Before that, they saw God’s presence in the form of a Pillar of Cloud and a Pillar of Fire (Ex 13:17-22).
- And of course let’s not forget that before that, they lived through the Ten Plagues coming upon Egypt which led to the Israelites freedom from slavery (Ex 7-12).
And despite all of that, the Israelites asked “Is the Lord among us or not”??? THEY STILL WANTED PROOF.
But…are we all that different from the Israelites?
How often have we questioned in our heart, “Does God really love me?” “Does God care about what is going on in my life?” “Is God even listening to my prayers?”
We all go through different seasons of life and relationship with the Lord, but my guess is that all of us have asked those questions at some point and probably more than once.
Whether you are currently asking those questions or not, let me say this first…
YES!!! The Lord loves you! He is madly, crazy in love with you. And on top of that, the Lord knows you, He knows your past, your faults, failings, and sins, He knows your deep dark secrets, He knows your fears and anxieties…and YET HE STILL LOVES YOU!
That love draws Him near to us. He left His heavenly throne to literally be AMONG US (Emmanuel), to walk, talk, and eat with us. He gave us the Sacraments to be tangible signs of this reality. Jesus comes to us in the Eucharist for us to consume so that His presence can consume us and He is physically in a tabernacle within miles of you right now just to be AMONG US!
There are certain times that all of us have been convinced of these facts, we felt it and knew it. Recall those times. Write them down. Reflect upon them. Thank the Lord for them. For those moments are your answer, your proof.
But it cannot stop there, you must then SHARE THOSE MOMENTS. Share this message. Because maybe today you are not asking God to prove Himself to you…but there may be someone you encounter today who is, and you get to be the answer to their question.
Your life lived in grace is the light in the darkness, the city set on a hill, the salt that gives flavor to the world…Your life lived in grace is proof and the ‘yes’ answer to “Is the Lord among us or not?”
Co-Founder & COO
Casting Nets Ministries